16 Things I Learned During 16 Years In Business
I have just started my 17th year of business WOW!
What an adventure! SO much in terms of accomplishment, heartache (recessions hurt!!) and learning… To think I started this because I didn’t know what else to do to put food on the table for my young son!
Here are sixteen things I’ve learned during those 16 years in business:
- Goals are great but what works for me is picking a direction and consistently move in that direction.
- The foundation is the MOST important part of any business. Well maybe it’s tied with attitude!
- If I listened, my customers told me what they wanted.
- Long term relationships are better than short term financial gain
- Know your overriding purpose. Once you know your overriding purpose making decisions becomes easy. The choices either align or they don’t. When you don’t know your purpose every decision is a roll of the dice
- Trust that other people have good things to contribute. And just maybe even better than your brilliant idea!
- Don’t be afraid to do things your way. Just because something is always done a certain way doesn’t mean it’s the only or best way
- Find time to play
- Make to do lists – and this means acting on that list too!!
- You don’t have to work with people you don’t like.
- NOTHING is personal. EVERYTHING is personal.
- Ask questions.
- Align yourself with people who have your best interest at heart.
- Take chances… no point in taking a risk of starting a business and then play it safe.
- Find a way to enjoy your business. Yes. Even the parts that you don’t like
And just because I am starting my 17th year…
17. Remember why you started this business!
I am excited to say that my son, who has been painting for us for 8 years, is now transitioning into a co-owning position. It is a joy (most of the time) to be able to work with my son. He is the reason I started this company. HE is my why. And he is the SON in Sonshine Girls Painting.